Monday, February 04, 2008

DAR AL HARB - U.S.A. - NEW MEXICO: THE HOME COMING QUEEN IS A HEAD TO TOE BAG

New Royalty: A Muslim Homecoming Queen
by By David Alire Garcia






Khadija Chudnoff, 18, was Elected Homecoming Queen on Jan. 17 at Monte del Sol High School



SFR: Where is your family from originally?

KC: My father is from Israel. He's from a village in the mountains, lots of farmlands and stuff. And my mother was born in Germany because my grandfather was in the American Army.

SFR: How many brothers and sisters do you have and what do your parents do?

KC: I have seven brothers and sisters. That's a lot, huh? There are six girls and two boys. My mother is a math teacher at an elementary school in Abiquiu and my father is a hydrologist.

SFR: How long have you been in Santa Fe?

KC: I've been coming to Santa Fe since the seventh grade. I don't live in Santa Fe, though. I live in Abiquiu.

SFR: So why did you want to be homecoming queen?

KC: [Laughs] I didn't actually think I was going to win. My school is pretty small and open to new things. I don't know, I think it sets a good example for Muslim girls. It shows them that they can have a social life and still be religious. And it shows non-Muslims that Muslims are just normal people.

...



Pertinent Links:

1) New Royalty: A Muslim Homecoming Queen

No comments: